Even though coffee stains our teeth and weakens our enamel it can be really tough to go without our morning cup–or cups! In fact, according to a study done by the National Coffee Association, 64% of Americans drink at least one cup of coffee a day. Check out our tips below to learn how to protect your teeth without giving up America’s favorite drink!
- Drink in moderation. Keeping your coffee consumption below 5 cups a day can help prevent serious damage to your teeth. But it’s still enough to get all the awesome health benefits that come with drinking a few cups of coffee a day, like a reduced risk of cancer, diabetes, and heart disease!
- Your enamel has been softened by the acidity in the coffee, so give it some time to strengthen up before you brush your teeth. About 30 minutes should do the trick!
- Don’t sip! The longer it takes to drink your coffee the more time it has to damage your teeth.
- Try an electric toothbrush! Electric toothbrushes are more effective than regular toothbrushes at cleaning away surface stains from your teeth.
- Brush, floss, and use mouthwash regularly! You should brush your teeth twice a day, floss once and day, and use mouthwash after each time you brush!
- Visit your dentist regularly! You should get your teeth cleaned professionally every 6 months. A professional cleaning will help reduce staining, as well as protect you from other health risks such as gum disease!
- Finally, if your teeth still aren’t as white as you’d like them to be, ask your dentist about whitening options that won’t ruin your enamel.